- Hummingbirds can fly backwards.
- The Bee Hummingbird is the smallest living bird in the world just 5cm long.
Visit the kids zone for some big cat learning & fun HERE
a warm-blooded egg-laying vertebrate animal distinguished by the possession of feathers, wings, a beak, and typically by being able to fly.
Did you Know?
- Birds have feathers, wings, lay eggs and are warm blooded.
- There are around 10000 different species of birds worldwide.
- The Ostrich is the largest bird in the world. It also lays the largest eggs and has the fastest maximum running speed (97 kph).
- Scientists believe that birds evolved from theropod dinosaurs.
- Birds have hollow bones which help them fly.
- Some bird species are intelligent enough to create and use tools.
- The chicken is the most common species of bird found in the world.
Wildlife Protection Foundation
Join the team at South Lakes Safari Zoo working to save Macaws, Penguins and Vultures in the wild Our conservation charity The Wildlife Protection Foundation manages projects that rescue, rehabilitate and release birds back to the wild. There are lots of ways you can help check out the website and keep supporting South Lakes Safari Zoo.